Sunday, January 19, 2014

06/365 Grateful -Communication

06 - 365 - Communication

Today i'm grateful for the different means of communication we employ. I remember the old rotary dial phones (I still have one as a backup)and being on a party line, shared with 4 or 5 other families. How annoying it was when you wanted to make a call and had to wait for another person to finish their conversation. Our first phone number that I remember was only four digits long. Long distance calls were very expensive and best called on Sundays (cheaper rates). We had to store phone numbers in our heads, and I still remember some of those old numbers. We had handwritten or typed sheets taped above the phone with a list of our frequently called numbers.

Now we communicate via cell phones, more often texting then talking.  We no longer have to use our memories to store numbers our phones do it for us. We use computers to shoot off quick emails, cursive writing is becoming a thing of the past.  

We are much more efficient with our many machines, until they crash taking along with it all our memory.  It seems to me we also waste time waiting for a people to respond.  And I must admit I miss those long chatty conversations on the phone with a good friend and a cup of hot coffee in hand. I miss the pleasure of settling in a favorite chair to read a lovely hand written letter, written just for me

Are we more connected or disconnected?  Although I am grateful for modern technology I also feel a loss for what was.  

As a introvert it gives me a feeling of control, the choice is mine as to the level of communication I desire, this can be a good or a bad thing.

What do you think? 

No comments:

Post a Comment